Thursday 15 October 2015

Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon





Everything, Everything





My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Wow! Now that's a book to read! What I liked about this book was that it was ingenious. It was a different idea from most other books I have read and it was not generic.
I have never heard of a girl having an allergy to everything outside before and being trapped inside a house because it is impossible for her to go outside but, apparently it is a rare disease which actually exists which scares me. Imagine a life like that. I thought Madeleine was extremely smart for a girl who did not know all the obvious things most children would grow up with. Not knowing what it was like to be outdoors, hang out with friends, go out for movies or parties or shopping. I mean, there is so much out there which we just take for granted and Maddy is extremely strong willed not to miss any of that. But, then again how do you miss something when you never had it in the first place? But, wouldn't she want to know what was out there. Who was out there other than her mother and Carla, her nurse.
I loved her nurse, Carla. I thought she really believed in Maddy and I thought she was like the mother even though the mother was right there. She was always allowing Maddy to live and telling her that its ok to get the bad feelings as well as the good.
Ollie, Ollie, Ollie, I want a love interest like that. Just that amazing and caring and considerate and even though he knows everything about her, there is to be known and knowing how impossible being together is, still wanting to try, not running away at the first sign of trouble.
Her mother was interesting. I had nothing against her in the beginning of the book. I just thought that she was like a child. Like she wanted to be taken care of more than Maddy did. It was all about her mother. She gets lonely when Maddy does not spend time with her, even though she can still go outside and work and see the world when Maddy can't.
The book was well written. I loved the illustrations and the small chapters in the middle with the diaries and the dictionaries and all the other stuff. I just loved this book!! Everyone should read it!

☂☂☂☂☂

No comments:

Post a Comment